Thursday 12 July 2012

I'm staying in a log cabin not far from Waterton Provincial Park for the next few days so my postings may be a little erratic.  In fact, a young Black bear just ran past our cabin but the only photographs I have are of it disappearing into a valley.  Oh well... With regards to moths, last night was another good night for my backyard.  There were 58 moths of 35 species.  3 are new species for the year and 5 species, consisting of 3 Geometrids and 2 Noctuids, I haven't had time to identify yet.  The new backyard moths for the year that I have identified are as follows:
Satin Moth (Leucoma salicis)
Hooked Silver Y (Syngrapha alias)
Anhimella contrahens (Anhimella contrahens)

I'm hoping to see some moths where I'm staying so will endeavour to create a few postings for any new or interesting species that I find in the area.
Anhimella contrahens (Anhimella contrahens)

Hooked Silver Y (Syngrapha alias)

The young Black bear that ran past our cabin.  I was too slow or the bear was too fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment