Monday 16 July 2012

I'm now in Lethbridge for a couple of nights.  Unfortunately, the wet weather has cut down the number of moth species and those that I am seeing tend to be somewhat the worse for wear.  Last night there were 32 macro moths of 16 species.  The two new species for the year were Horned Spanworm Moth (Nematocampa resistaria) and Forest Tent Caterpillar Moth (Malacosoma disstria).  I also recorded a rather large micro moth which I think is an Oblique-banded Leafroller Moth (Choristoneura rosaceana).  I've added a Damselfly photograph that was frequenting my relatives backyard pond.  While Boreal and Northern Bluets are difficult to separate, after close study of the clasper I think I can say that this is a Boreal Bluet (Enallagma boreale).  The Dragonfly picture was taken in the Waterton Provincial Park tomnsite on Friday 13th.  I think this is Variable Darner (Aeshna interrupta).
Horned Spanworm (Nematocampa resistaria)

Forest Tent Caterpillar Moth (Malacosoma disstria)

Oblique-banded Leafroller Moth (Choristoneura rosaceana)
Variable Darner (Aeshna interrupta)

 Boreal Bluet (Enallagma boreale)


No comments:

Post a Comment