Saturday 14 July 2012

Here's a short mothing story from last night.  We're still staying in a cabin not far Waterton Provincial Park in Southern Alberta.  Last night there was very loud and spectacular storm so I was not expecting much in or around the moth trap.  At 11:50pm my wife went to the window to check that the car was locked. I then heard her saying "There's a big moth on the side of the trap".  I have to say that I replied rather incredulously, "how big is big?"  Anyway, I got up to have a look and much to my amazement there was a Polyphemus Moth on the side of the trap!!  I've never seen any Silk moths until this year and this was my second, having seen a Glover's Silk moth earlier in the year at the same location.  Well, as you can imagine, I've been eating humble pie all day and will have to believe my wife next time she says "there's a large moth on the side of the trap"!!

Here are a few pictures of the Poluphemus moth and a couple of others that I have not seen before.

Polyphemus Moth (Antheraea polyphemus)

Polyphemus Moth (Antheraea polyphemus)

Polyphemus Moth (Antheraea polyphemus)

Scarlet-winged Lichen Moth (Hypoprepia miniata)

Yellow-collared Scape Moth (Cisseps fulvicollis)

1 comment:

  1. The polyphemus is magnificent!I have only seen one of these before myself, many years ago in the hedge of our Edmonton garden.

    ReplyDelete