Friday 4 August 2017

Backyard Sphinx and Underwing moths for June & July

With the exception of the One-eyed Sphinx (Smerinthus cerisyi), a new backyard species, I’ve had all of the following moth species in my backyard light trap over the years but this is the first time I’ve had them all in the same year.

The One-eyed Sphinx was showing some wear and I was unable to get an open winged shot of the Briseis Underwing (Catocala briseis) before it got away but I think they still make reasonable photographs.  The Underwings can be tricky to separate but given its size, a wingspan at least 8cm, colour and wide black bands, I am reasonably confident that the first photograph is a Once-married Underwing (Catocala unijuga).

I’ve had a good number of new backyard species during our extended hot spell which I will be blogging about in the near future.

Once-married-UnderwingOnce-married-Underwing1White-lined-SphinxWhite-lined-Sphinx1One-eyed-SphinxGallium-SphinxBriseis-Underwing

No comments:

Post a Comment