Sunday 12 April 2015

April Moths

Not too much to report for last week, although, I did find a new backyard micro moth on the door next to my light trap yesterday morning (11th).  I think the new micro is a Semioscopis inornata.  I found 2 common names for this moth.  The one used on the E.H. Strickland Entomological Museum is Dull Flatbody Moth and in the Peterson guide it is Plain Semioscopis.   I guess it is plain and could be considered Dull so you can take your pick…Smile

With regards to macro moths, I had a single Large Grey Pinion (Lithophane georgii) in the trap on the 9th and 8 moths of 2 species in the light trap on the 11th.  The latter comprised  of 7 Speckled Green Fruitworms (Orthosia hibisci) and a new species for the year, a Western Swordgrass Moth (Xylena thoracica).

Strong winds kept my light trap inside last night and may keep it in tonight.

IMG_0138IMG_0142IMG_0150ik 9913 Large Grey Pinion (Lithophane georgii)_2

IMG_0154

No comments:

Post a Comment