Friday 2 August 2013

A good moth night

In spite of some rain during the night and early morning it was a good night for backyard moths.  I counted 103 macro moths of 30 species in the light trap.  6 of them were new for the year and included a White-streaked Looper (Plusia venusta) which I have only recorded once before in August 2010.  A very nice looking Plusiinae.  The 6 also included my second Underwing of the year, a Semirelict Underwing Moth (Catocala semirelicta), which found it’s way into my bait trap.  I never get great numbers of Underwings, probably a consequence of the area I live in, so I’m always pleased to see them.  The new species for the year were as follows:

Dark-spotted Looper (Diachrysia aereoides)
Tufted Thyatirid (Pseudothyatira cymatophoroides)
Semirelict Underwing Moth (Catocala semirelicta)
White-streaked Looper (Plusia venusta)
Great Gray Dart (Great Brochade) (Eurois occulta)
Ruby Dart (Xestia oblata)

Untitled_Panorama1KAUntitled_Panorama2800Untitled_PanoramaE800IMG_77351KUntitled_PanoramaD1KUntitled_Panorama800Untitled_Panorama800JUntitled_Panorama1kFUntitled_Panorama800GUntitled_PanoramaJ800

No comments:

Post a Comment