Tuesday 25 June 2013

The moths return!

Today there was certainly a dramatic increase in moth numbers as compared to any previous day this year.  There were 19 moths of 16 species in the light trap this morning.  This included 9 new species for the year and 2 possibly 3 backyard species that I haven’t seen before.  The new species for the year were:

Pepper & Salt Geometer (Biston betularia cognataria)
Dark Metanema (Metanema determinata)
Sphinx vashti (Vashti sphinx)
Common Gluphisia (Gluphisia septentrionis)
Poplar Kitten (Furcula scolopendrina)
Impressed Dagger Moth (Acronicta impressa)
Trichordestra liquida (Trichordestra liquida)
Bristly Cutworm Moth (Lacinipolia renigera)
Bridled Arches (Lacinipolia lorea)

Impressed Dagger Moth (Acronicta impressa), Sphinx vashti (Vashti sphinx) and Poplar Kitten (Furcula scolopendrina) were the yard species that I haven’t recorded before.  Actually, from what I understand Furcula scolopendrina and f. occidentalis cannot be separated with 100% confidence without dissection and both species occur in my area.  However, after studying photographs etc. I’m  tentatively calling this one Furcula scolopendrina.  Thanks again to Gary Anweiler for confirming my Impressed Dagger Moth ID.  With regards to the Sphinx vashti (Vashti sphinx), I’ve seen this Sphinx moth many times in the Twin Butte area of southern Alberta, in fact this was my first Sphinx moth but it is the first time I have had one in my yard since I started backyard moth trapping in 2007.  One other note, I always struggle with the Trichordestra species but think this is Trichordestra liquida.  I’ve included 2 micro moth photographs but they cannot be identified to the species level without dissection. Thanks to Greg Pohl for the micro information and for placing one in the Alucita genus.

Acronicta impressaDark Metanema (Metanema determinata)Trichordestra liquidaUntitled_PanoramaSVLargeIMG_3643Untitled_PanoramaStraw1000Untitled_Panorama1KUntitled_Panorama1Untitled_Panorama1KAngleIMG_3579AAS800Untitled_PanoramaBS800Untitled_Panorama1KSP

Alucita spEupithecia sp

No comments:

Post a Comment